This REMOVAL process is specific to avast! 7 (or 8) upgrading over an avast!
4, 5, 6 or an avast! 7 installation (also use when upgrading avast! Free to avast! Pro or avast! Endpoint Protection) You will want to have your avast license file available for insertion during step nine (license.avastlic)
1) Remove all avast! versions as well as any other A/V programs from add/remove programs in control panel.
2) Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility (aswclear.exe) and save it on your desktop.
3) Start Windows in Safe Mode (F8 key before Windows splash screen on a reboot)
4) Open (execute) the uninstall utility aswclear.exe
5) Choose which version of avast! to uninstall. This process will be repeated for each avast! version that has been previously loaded on this system (4, 5, 6, 7, or 8) So let’s assume we had all versions of avast! installed on this system at some point. So we choose version 4 and proceed.
6) If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
7) Click REMOVE, close aswclear, don’t reboot, open aswclear, remove avast! 5, close aswclear, don’t reboot, open aswclear, remove avast! 6, close aswclear, don’t reboot, open aswclear, remove avast! 7, close aswclear, don’t reboot, open aswclear, remove avast! 8, and NOW is the time to reboot.
8) Install avast! Pro from here: http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=PA&locale=en-ww (or the avast! Endpoint client)
9) Choose “Community IQ” and browse to license file is easiest.
10) Reboot system, and set web shield Heuristics sensitivity to high! (if you are managing the antivirus installation, then this must be performed in the console)
NOTE: Sometimes antivirus leftovers go much deeper than this process, and you may need to get more aggressive at this task! (see below)
When all else fails, discovery and removal of antivirus leftovers!
“At this point in time, the Internet should be regarded as an Enemy Weapons System!”